Program Educational Objectives
Program Educational Objectives for the Undergraduate Program
in Mechanical Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Michigan State University
(Approved by the Department Faculty December 1, 2022)
Within 3 to 5 years of graduation our graduates are expected to:
1. Have evolved into competent and ethical engineers practicing in a diverse range of current and emerging activities
2. Use their mechanical engineering education as a stimulus for personal and professional growth
3. Demonstrate capability, creativity, leadership, and application of knowledge
4. Be critical thinkers, both independently and as members of a team, who identify problems and develop effective solutions
Our graduates will have:
1. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
2. An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and
welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
3. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
4A. An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations.
4B. An ability to make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and
5A. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership.
5B. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together create a collaborative and inclusive environment.
5C. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
6A. An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation.
6B. An ability to analyze and interpret data, using engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
7. An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, beyond what is taught in lecture, using appropriate learning strategies.